EDBE 8P34 Post No. 1 // My Literacy Story

Hey!

If you're a first-time visitor - welcome, and thanks for dropping in!
If you've been here before, well, you have great taste in past-time activities (wink).

     Today I'm going to be sharing my literacy story. And by this, I mean I will discuss the single event that changed my entire perspective on the realm of literacy and reading. I know, it sounds pretty epic right?!
My older sister and I reading a really good book!

So let's get to it!

     When writing, they say one must begin with a hook to lure the reader in, and captivate the audience. So, I'm going to start off bold...

Reading is boring. 

     There! I said it! I bet you've never heard an (almost) teacher say that before! But here's the catch - there is a very important second part to that sentence.

Let's take it from the top:

Reading is boring... when you don't have a good book. 

And this is where my literacy story begins.

Part One: The Storm 

     It all started eight days ago, when I was assigned this project. Well, it started way before this, but this is where my revelation began. We were told to create a timeline of defining moments in our experiences with literacy. After staring at my blank page for ten minutes, I finally wrote down my first idea: 'growing up I was really shy'. Although this is a true statement, it had absolutely nothing to do with literacy. And so began the frustration. After staring at my paper for another five to seven minutes, I felt a spark ignite within me that I hadn't felt in a while...

Last nights dinner? 
No, even worse!
My love-hate relationship with reading! (The drama!) 

     'So we meet again' I thought. It had been a while since I had duelled with this internal battle. How on earth was I suppose to create a story about my journey with literacy when I had no significant memories of reading? How am I suppose to write a literacy story when I always have, and still do, hate reading?

Part 2: The Realization 

A photo of my older sister and I having
a fun time and totally not fighting. 
But then it hit me, and I remembered...
Eric Walters; my grade seven literacy saviour. 
"Wait a minute..." I thought. 
"I don't hate reading!"

     Let's take a trip back in time. It's 2010, I'm 12, I have a big attitude, and I just started wearing mascara because my mom said I'm allowed to wear makeup at school now. I am sitting in my grade seven English class learning how to write my very first book report. The teacher says we can choose any chapter book we want, but there's only one problem - I hate, and I mean h a t e, reading. My classmates and I go down to the school library to choose and sign out our books. I'm one of the last ones in the library because I can't decide on a stinkin' book - so embarrassing! Whatever I guess, I'll just pick this one because my older sister read it and said it was good. "Safe as Houses", that doesn't even make sense but whatever I don't care anymore, I'm getting it. 
     
     A few weeks later I finally decided to crack open the book and give it a try. While reading, my mom came into my room to check on me. Why would she do tha- OH my goodness its been three hours?! She asked me what I was doing and I said reading. I'm not sure what happened after she left, but I assume she poured herself a glass of... tea, and thought about how her life was coming together. Her daughter who once  h a t e d  reading was finally coming around (#ProudMom #Blessed). 

     Before I knew it, it was dark out, everyone was asleep, and I was the only one awake. What time is it anywa- OH boy 11pm?! I should get to sleep, I have school tomorrow! I found myself setting my alarm an hour earlier than usual because I wanted to get up early to read before I had to leave for school. The next morning, at the crack of dawn, I finished that book - and I loved every waking minute of it. 

     In the passing weeks I wrote my book report, received my mark back, and scored a 99%. Maybe I did like reading after all?

Part 3: The Revelation 
My Dad and I waiting for my older sister
to come home from her first day of JK!

     Fast forward one year from this groundbreaking realization. It's 2012, I'm 13, I've lost a bit of the attitude, and I just started wearing eyeshadow because I discovered YouTube makeup tutorials. I am sitting in my grade eight English class reviewing how to write a book report. The teacher says we can choose any chapter book we want, but this time, there is no problem because I don't hate reading. My classmates and I go down to the school library to choose and sign out our books. I am one of the first ones in line to sign out my book because I went straight to the Eric Walters section and easily picked out an exciting option: "We All Fall Down." I guess that title kind of makes sense because I read the back of the book and it says this novel is supposed to be about the 9/11 tragedy. I'm waiting in line for my peers to finish in the library and I'm already reading my book...do I look like a nerd? Whatever, I don't care, I can't wait to find out what happens next! 

I finished the book the next day.
In the passing weeks I wrote my book report, received my grade, and scored another 90%.

Part 4: Reflection

Me, on my first day of Kindergarten!

     Returning to present time, I am using reflection to analyze my experiences with literacy to identify how it shaped me as both an individual and an educator. Not to be dramatic, but I kind of feel like I've experienced a revelation. Unexpectedly, re-visiting my love-hate relationship with reading has allowed me to recognize some unique things, and what I think to be promising qualities as a future educator. 

     First and foremost, I learned that I will never be that teacher who says "reading is awesome" - because it isn't. There are many more exciting things in life like jumping out of a plane or losing your first tooth that I think top reading on the excitement scale by a long shot. I will however be the teacher that says "we need reading because..." - emphasis on need. Rather than forcing students to feel like they have to enjoy reading, I would rather be upfront and explain why reading and literacy are essential to use in navigating everyday life. If students can understand this importance, they just might be more willing to work at their literacy skills.

     With that being said, I don't want my students to dread the task of reading or completing other literacy related assignments. Which brings me to my next realization: I am not passionate about reading, but I am passionate about helping students find books that peak their interests, and make the reading process a little more bearable. It took me 22 years to finally come to terms with my status about reading, and I don't want other kids to experience the same difficulties I did. So, I plan to use my experience with literacy as a way to intercept this process in other learners, by helping them explore books until they find the one that makes them want to wake up early to read. 

My older sister reading a really good book to me!
     Through the completion of this assignment, I finally think I understand that it is okay to not like reading. If I were presented with the option to read a good book, or go do something outside, I would choose outdoor activities every time. But, this does not mean that reading cannot be enjoyable - and that is the message I want learners to understand, and will devote myself to conveying. 

     My literacy story thus far comes to an end here; with some closure and motivation for the type of literacy teacher I will be. I will end with a critical statement to my past self and future learners...

     Reading does not have to be your first preference of activity, you do not have to think reading is awesome, and you don't have to feel guilty if you feel this way! You do, however, need to understand the importance of reading, understand that reading can still be enjoyable even if you don't love it, and know the genre that speaks to you, so you don't have to dread such a large portion of your school life. 

The End, 

For now...

- JD







































Comments